Sunday, July 31, 2016

Burnt Out Lies

You said 'perhaps in another lifetime'
To which I replied
'But we still have one ahead of us! How can you be sure it is not this time?'
You kept silent
and I waited
and waited
and waited
and waited
And I should have known sooner
that the silence
was your answer
I should have known when I felt
the cold wind brush against my face
when you used to be
a breath of warm fresh air
I should have known when I heard
the faltering echo of your voice slowly fading away
in the vastness of the grey sky
when they used to be so profound
singing to me love songs
and lullabies
I should have known when I saw the distance between us
by the way your eyes looked
away from mine
when they used to be fixed on me
and only me
even when I was away
I should have known when
you finally opened your mouth
And all I could smell were your
burnt-out lies
that knocked me off my balance
as if I just heard them for the first time
I should have known
that 'perhaps in another lifetime'
was your lazy excuse
of telling me
'You are not worth fighting for'

And I wish I knew how
to get rid of this unpleasant aftertaste
of that kiss we shared that night
that still somehow manage
to linger inside my mouth

-Manganese

No comments:

Post a Comment